Licensure Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where do I apply for licensure?
A. All licensure applications are completed online at

Q. For what type of license do I apply?
A. Graduates of a teacher education program who do not currently hold a professional educator’s license should select the “I completed a NC teacher ed program” application type. Candidates who are seeking to upgrade an existing license to a new level or who are clearing a lateral entry license should select the “upgrade of clear license area” application type. Candidates who already hold a professional educator’s license and are applying to add a new licensure area should select the “add area by program completion” application type.

Q. Do I need to apply for a license? 
A. Yes. All candidates seeking to receive an initial license, upgrade an existing license, clear a lateral entry license, or add an area to an existing license must submit an application to the NCDPI portal.

Q. When should I apply for my license?
A. Candidates should not submit an application until they have met all licensure requirements (including testing) and have ordered and received an eTranscript that reflects an awarded certificate/degree. Applications that are submitted but cannot be approved because of missing requirements may be automatically denied by NCDPI if they have been pending for more than 45 days. If this happens, candidates will need to submit another application and pay NCDPI’s application fee again.”

Q. What if I am moving out of state after graduation?
A. It is best to consult the licensing agency in the state where you are moving.  Some states prefer that you are fully licensed in another state, some only require that applicants be eligible for licensure, and some only need a form verifying the completion of a licensure program.

Q. What is required to be recommended for licensure by UNC Charlotte?
A. Visit TEAL’s main licensure page for a list of required items you will need to upload to the online licensure system. Candidates should order an official UNCC electronic transcript that reflects an awarded certificate/degree before applying for licensure so that it may be uploaded as part of the application. When applications are routed to UNCC, TEAL staff will upload test scores so long as they are on file and required. Official copies of your test scores must also be sent to NCDPI directly from the testing vendor (Praxis/Pearson). This request should be made during the registration process for each assessment.

Q. How can I determine if my certificate/degree has been formally awarded?”
A. To determine if your certificate/degree has been awarded, check the top of your advising transcript in Banner Self-Service. The advising transcript is accessible through the Student Records link under the Student Services/Student Accounts tab. Your degree status should read “Awarded” instead of “Applied” before you order the transcript.

Q. Can I be recommended for my initial teaching license without student teaching?
A. No. All candidates must successfully complete student teaching with a grade of A or B before they can be recommended for an initial teaching license or clear a lateral entry license through UNCC.

Q. How much does it cost to apply for a license?
A. TEAL does not charge a fee to process licensure applications, but candidates must pay NCDPI’s application fee before their application can be submitted and routed to UNCC. Fees vary depending on the type of application and range from $35-$70. However, all candidates who complete a teacher education program in NC and successfully apply for an initial license will have their application fee refunded by NCDPI within 30 days of the license being issued. The refund will be processed to the credit/debit card used for payment.

Q. I submitted an application but I’m not sure if I completed it correctly. How will I know if something is wrong?
A. TEAL will notify applicants of problems with their application (e.g. missing requirements) within two weeks of it being submitted. If you receive an email from NCDPI stating that there is a problem with your application, contact TEAL immediately for help with resolution.

Q. How long does it take to be recommended by UNC Charlotte?
A. The application will be processed by TEAL staff as quickly as possible. A recommendation can be made once all required test scores have been submitted/received, required Taskstream evidences have been completed, and official transcripts that reflect an awarded certificate/degree have been uploaded. If all requirements are met at the time of submission, you can expect a recommendation to be made on your application within one week.”

Q. How do I know if I have been recommended for licensure?
A. You will automatically be emailed a verification memo from within a week of the recommendation being made to NCDPI. This memo is typically accepted by school districts as verification that you have met all licensure requirements and that your application is pending final NCDPI review.

Q. How long does it take for NCDPI to issue my new license?
A. NCDPI processing may take a few weeks to a few months, depending on the number of pending applications in queue. The standard processing time is 30-45 days after a recommendation is received from UNCC. You can monitor the progress of your application from the NCDPI portal. 

Q. I want to add a second teaching license by taking the licensure exam(s). Can I do this?
A. Yes. Candidates who hold a clear teaching license can add another licensure area by taking ALL required exams for that area. If you pass the extra exams (and UNCC has your scores) prior to applying for your initial license, TEAL will request that the second licensure area be added for you through your initial application. If you pass the extra exams after TEAL has processed your initial application, you will have to submit a new application to add the area. Note: Only teaching areas can be added via testing. Administrative or student support licenses (e.g. counseling) can only be added via program completion. 

Q. I completed a M.Ed. in Special Education. Can I apply for an Exceptional Children Program Administrator license? 
A: All candidates who complete the M.Ed. in Special Education are eligible to upgrade their existing Exceptional Children license to the master's level. Those who (1) took ADMN 6100, ADMN 6130, ADMN 6140, and ADMN 6105 or ADMN 6100 as part of their program; and (2) passed the Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) Praxis II exam can also add an Exceptional Children Program Administrator license via program completion. Candidates eligible to both add and upgrade should submit an application to “Add area by program completion” and select Exceptional Children Program Administrator in the license area tab. When the application is routed to UNCC, TEAL staff will upload a memo requesting that their Exceptional Children license also be upgraded to the master’s level with the same application. Contact the Licensure Officer at 704-687-8815 or if you have questions about the procedure. 

Q. I completed a doctoral program at UNCC. Can I apply for a doctoral-level license?
A. Yes, but only if you completed the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership – Superintendency or Curriculum and Supervision concentration. Those two concentrations within the Ed.D. are the only doctoral programs at UNCC currently approved for doctoral-level licensure. The Superintendency concentration leads to a doctoral-level Superintendent license and the Curriculum and Supervision concentration leads a doctoral-level Curriculum Instructional Specialist license. For Curriculum and Supervision concentration graduates who do not currently hold a lower-level Curriculum Instructional Specialist license, the Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) Praxis exam is required.”

Q. I am an international student. Can I apply for licensure in North Carolina? 
A: In addition to other requirements, candidates who are not US Citizens must provide a US Social Security Card and one of the following to apply for licensure in North Carolina: work authorization, permanent resident card, or US passport. 

Q. Where do I direct additional questions?
A. You can send an e-mail to or call TEAL directly at 704-687-8725.