Candidates who complete all program requirements and have awarded certificates or degrees are eligible to apply for a professional educator’s license. Applications for new initial licenses and updates to existing licenses should be submitted to the NCDPI Online Licensure System.
IMPORTANT: UNCC does not submit applications for professional educator licensure on behalf of candidates. Candidates must submit an application and pay the application fee before the TEAL Office can make a recommendation on their license to NCDPI. Candidates who complete a teacher education program at UNCC and successfully apply for an initial professional educator’s license will have their application fee refunded to the credit/debit card used for payment within 30 days of their license being issued.
To submit an application, candidates will need:
- Debit/credit card payment information
- An official UNCC electronic transcript that reflects an awarded certificate/degree; eTranscripts are available from the National Student Clearinghouse, which is accessible through Banner Self Service
- Court documents (if applicable)
- Experience verification documents (if applicable)
- Work authorization documents (if applicable)
Once applications are submitted, TEAL will upload:
- Previous college transcripts (for Graduate Certificate in Teaching completers)
- Licensure test scores that have been submitted to UNCC; NCDPI must also receive an official copy of all scores directly from the testing vendor (Praxis/Pearson)
- Note: Passing scores on all required exams must be provided to UNCC before graduates with a lateral entry or residency license can be recommended for a "clear" professional educator's license
The Regional Alternative Licensing Center (RALC) has also created a series of tutorials that may be helpful.
Questions regarding NC licensure can be directed to the Licensure Officer in TEAL:
Dr. Brad Smith
Director and Licensure Officer