Applicants to the Graduate Certificate in Teaching must meet the following requirements:
- A four-year undergraduate degree from a regionally-accredited institution
- An overall GPA of at least 2.75; an overall GPA of 2.7 of higher will be considered with very strong recommendations*
- For Middle Grades, Secondary, Foreign Language, and CTE concentrations, one of the following:
- A relevant undergraduate degree (see planning sheets)
- 21 hours of background coursework (see planning sheets)**
- Passing scores on exams required for NC licensure
Note: Secondary applicants only need passing scores on the relevant content Praxis II exam prior to program admission. However, the Principles of Teaching and Learning (5624) Praxis II exam or the edTPA portfolio will need to be passed prior to receiving a teaching license at the conclusion of the certificate
- Completed application with the Graduate School, including:
- Three online recommendations
- A satisfactory statement of purpose
- Signed Commitment to Disposition form
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended during or after high school
- Satisfactory results from a criminal background check
*Applicants with an overall GPA below 2.7 should call the TEAL main line (704-687-8725) to discuss potential admission options.
**It is strongly recommended that you contact Mr. Josh Avery (firstname.lastname@example.org, 704-687-8727) to have your background coursework reviewed prior to submitting an application with the Graduate School.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible to https://mygradschool.uncc.edu/ to allow time to register before class begins. Applications must be completed (i.e., all required documents submitted) by the following deadlines:
Fall Admission: April 15th
All Other Concentrations
Fall Admission: August 15th
Spring Admission: January 1st
Summer I Admission: May 15th
Summer II Admission: June 15th
Available Start Terms
Fall, Spring, and Summer: CTE, ESL, Foreign Language, Middle and Secondary, Special Education
Fall and Spring only: B-K, Elementary Education
Fall only: Art
Questions regarding the Graduate Certificate in Teaching for Art Education should be directed to Ms. Tesh Ramey (email@example.com or 704-687-8182).
Questions regarding the Graduate Certificate in Teaching for all other licensure areas should be directed to Mr. Josh Avery (firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-687-8727) or Ms. Bethany Myers (704-687-7353 or email@example.com).