All new undergraduate students arrive at the Cato College of Education as pre-majors. In order to be admitted to Teacher Education and begin major coursework, the following requirements must be met:
- C or better in EDUC 1100/2100 and SPED 2100; these courses are EDU 216 and EDU 221, respectively, at NC community colleges
- 30+ credit hours (for ELED, SPED, and SPEL) or 45+ credit hours (for CHFD, MDLG, FLED, and SECD)
- UNCC GPA of 2.7 or higher; students must maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher to remain enrolled
- Passing scores on the Praxis Core or exempting SAT/ACT scores
- Scores on the Practice General Curriculum exam in Canvas (ELED, SPED General Curriculum, and SPEL only)
- Completed application on file in TEAL and satisfactory results from a criminal background check (run at time of application)
Please call the TEAL main line (704-687-8725) or contact your education advisor with questions.
Graduate Certificate in Teaching
Applicants to the Graduate Certificate in Teaching must meet the following requirements:
- A four-year undergraduate degree from a regionally-accredited institution
- An overall GPA of at least 2.75; an overall GPA of 2.7 of higher will be considered with very strong recommendations*
- Background content courses as required by each concentration** (Note: a relevant undergraduate degree satisfies all background requirements)
- Completed application with the Graduate School, including:
- Three online recommendations
- A satisfactory statement of purpose
- Signed disposition statement
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended during or after high school
- Satisfactory results from a criminal background check
*Applicants with an overall GPA below 2.7 should call the TEAL main line (704-687-8725) to discuss potential admission options.
**It is strongly recommended that you contact Mr. Josh Avery (email@example.com, 704-687-8727) to have your background content credits reviewed prior to submitting an application with the Graduate School.
Questions regarding the Graduate Certificate in Teaching for Art Education should be directed to Ms. Tesh Ramey (firstname.lastname@example.org, 704-687-8182).
Questions regarding the Graduate Certificate in Teaching for all other licensure areas should be directed to Mr. Josh Avery (email@example.com, 704-687-8727).